Thank You 91.3 WCSG
As we mentioned in our last e-News, Urban Family Ministries was the focus ministry for 91.3 WCSG’s 40th Anniversary Fall Sharathon. For every $40 monthly pledge received, WCSG donated $40 toward our Super Saturday program cost. We are so pleased and excited to share that WCSG’s gift is enough to pay to transport every child to Super Saturday this year! It may seem like a small piece of the pie, but in reality, covering the cost of transportation is a large part of our yearly budget. Having this program already taken care of allows us to watch God grow another area of ministry. Thank you to WCSG for partnering with UFM in this venture and for the faithful listeners who donated not only to support a great radio station in Grand Rapids but also to support UFM!
“Light in a messenger’s eyes brings joy to the heart, and good news gives health to the bones.” Proverbs 15:30
Recent Happenings . . . .
Christmas Shoppe 2013
This year’s Christmas Shoppe – A.M.A.Z.I.N.G! We were able to connect with families from our Super Saturday and Ladies Bible Study programs, from Wellspring Church (just up the street from UFM), True Light Baptist Church (about 3 blocks from UFM), and with some of our Baxter Street neighbors.
THANK YOU to everyone that donated items for the Christmas Shoppe. Your generosity was overwhelming! And thank you to the many volunteers who helped set up the Christmas Shoppe, price the items, wrap gifts with the parents and with the clean up afterwards. Every one of you played an important part in making our second Christmas Shoppe a success for our families.
We learned that one of the families that came, though they have great need right now, refused to take free handouts from the many holiday charities. They want to personally invest in their family. We talked with the husband and wife as they shopped and wrapped gifts for their children. If you could have seen the dad’s face as he tried to figure out how to wrap a Ripstick! It was one of the most precious moments we will cherish from the Christmas Shoppe. They thanked us several times for allowing them the opportunity to shop and commented about how they are trying to do the right thing and provide for their family. The more we talked, the more impressed we became with their tenacity, spirit and desire to do things right. The mom commented on things for their children and not just accept free things given by strangers.
Even though we were weary from the long day, we left that night with a bounce in our step and a smile on our face, feeling truly blessed by this couple who spoke to exactly what we are trying to teach our children and families. We thank God for all his blessings he has bestowed upon UFM. God is moving in the hearts, lives, churches and the community in which we minister.
“How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation, who say to Zion, “Your God reigns!”” Isaiah 52:7
Volunteer Opportunities . . . .
Volunteers Needed . . . .
- Drivers, Co-Pilots & Substitute Drivers – With all the activities we have going on, there is always a need for extra drivers. Our biggest need right now is for substitute drivers for our Cornerstone program, which would mean driving a UFM van of kids to Cornerstone University. We could use some co-pilots and substitute drivers for Super Saturday as well. Contact Noelle or Heidi for more information.
- Tuesday Morning Child Care – We can use some help caring for 1-5 preschoolers while their moms attend our Ladies Bible Study, 9:45am-12:00noon. These children are a delight. You’ll have fun! Contact Noelle for more information.
- Super Saturday – Come and hang out with our kids and mingle with a purpose. It is held in the gym at Calvary Church. Note the new time: It runs from 3:30pm-5:00pm. Contact Peggy for a schedule of dates and to get signed up.
Call our office at 365-9009 if you would like to know more about volunteering.
“In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.” Matthew 5:16
Prayer & Praises . . . .
Pray With Us . . .
- Pray for the family of Betty Mollhagen. Betty, a long-time UFM volunteer, passed away on January 13. Her daughter Katie is a regular volunteer with Urban Family Ministries.
- Pray for our teens as they will be attending a winter retreat in early February.
- Pray for our Young Mens ministry. There have been some very real, heartfelt conversations with our young men. We can see God at work in their lives.
- Pray for God’s guidance as we search for a new Executive Director.
- Pray for safety on the road during all UFM programs.
- Pray for the children and families that will be impacted by the message of Jesus Christ.
- Pray for UFM staff and volunteers, that we will have the energy needed to do the work God has put before us, and that we continue to seek Him first in all things.
We Praise God . . .
- For the opportunity to reflect Christ in our neighborhood.
- For every one of our donors! “For you have been partners in spreading the Good News about Christ…..” Philippians 1:5
- For our many volunteers who faithfully serve each week.
- For our partnerships with many area churches.
- For the many glimpses of God at work in the lives of our families!
“He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear the Lord and put their trust in him.” Psalm 40:3
How You Can Help . . . .
Partner with UFM . . . .
- As a Prayer Partner. Pray daily for the work God is doing through Urban Family Ministries here in Grand Rapids.
- As a Financial Partner. Have you considered partnering with us as a regular monthly supporter? Or how about sponsoring one of our programs for one year.
New ways to donate: 1) We now offer automatic monthly withdrawals from your bank account that you can change or stop at any time. Just download and print a form and mail, fax or email it back to the office. 2) You can also donate online from our secure website using Paypal (you don’t have to be registered with Paypal to use it). Your regular monthly support enables us to continue to strengthen families and change lives.
- Help support UFM by doing your online shopping through eScrip, which offers links to hundreds of name-brand store websites. Go to escrip.com to register or sign in and shop. eScrip will donate from 2% to 16% to UFM based on your purchase.
- Shop at Family Fare or D&W Fresh Markets during their Cash for Class event January 12-18 , February 2-8 and February 23-March 1. Use your Yes card and the store will make a donation to Urban Family Ministries based on the amount of your purchase. Be sure to link UFM to your Yes card as your selected non-profit. Visit Spartan Stores website to learn more about Cash for Class.
- As a Volunteer….be the hands and feet of Jesus right in your own city! There are many different opportunities to volunteer at UFM. Give us a call at (616) 365-9009 or check out our website at www.urbanfamilyministries.org.
“Your love has given me great joy and encouragement, because you, brother, have refreshed the hearts of the Lord’s people.” Philemon 1:7
“Not to us, LORD, not to us but to your name be the glory, because of your love and faithfulness.” Psalm 115:1